Do you judge a book by its over?

>> Saturday, July 21, 2012

I'll be the first to admit it....I do. I can't help myself. And part of the reason I was so reluctant to read Harry Potter (way back in the day when it first came out), was that I didn't like the cover. You'd think that I would learn my lesson after 32 years, but I haven't. I still judge books by their cover. In general, I prefer books without human faces on them. I like to imagine and have my own thoughts about what the characters look like so I don't like it when the cover ruins it for me. Although, for some reason, I didn't feel that way way back in the day when I was reading the Babysitter's club.

*sigh*

Remember the Babysitter's club? Now that was a great and wholesome series. I loved those books. Whatever happened to them? Kids nowadays have no clue about the babysitters club, do they? Too bad.

But back to books and their covers. I also like it when the cover is simple. Nothing too busy or difficult to look at. When I was writing Milestones book 1 and 2, I had something very specific in mind. I really thought the first novel should have a lightning bolt on the cover but my publisher was amazing and brought me three covers to choose from , and surprisingly, I liked one that had nothing to do with a lightning bolt (see sidebar for reference). With the second book, I was even more nervous. I probably (read: surely) drove my publisher crazy. I probably emailed her once a day for a full week (if not longer) to ask about the cover.

What does it look like?

Is there a person on it?

Its just.....I don't like people on the cover.

Hey. Hi. So....funny story. What does it look like?

Is it pretty?

Can you put me out of my misery? The suspense is killing me.

Me again. Is it simple?

Can we stick with the same theme as the first one? I just really think that's a good idea.

No but really, can I see it? What does it look like?



And so on and so forth until....... (drumroll please)............


There it is! It's been released and I've been dying to show you guys what it looks like.

What do you think?

I personally LOVE it. I mean, love love love. It's exactly what I had pictured when I was writing the novel. How often can an author say that? So apparently, you can pre-order the book already. OH and officially the release date is going to be August 15th.
And I'm currently working on a new blog look. And there will be blog tours and book signings and all that other exciting stuff.

So in the meantime, tell me, do you judge books by their cover? Or are you a better person?

More blogging soon!

Ps. Hi Uncle greg! :)

post signature

4 comments:

Kristy July 21, 2012 at 6:03 PM  

I too judge a book by its cover unless it has been recommend to me by a friend. Then I don't pass judgement on the cover. I LOVE the cover and can't wait to read your book! Can I talk about you on my blog??!!

Samira July 21, 2012 at 6:38 PM  

Of course you can! :))

Narges,  July 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM  

I LOVE the cover too! It sent goosebumps over my arms, which is indicative of how well it is portraying a mystery. :) Sam, seriously, it's a great cover and probably what I would have imagined for a cover for your book too! I'm super excited to read it. :) Congratulations!

Mel July 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM  

Awesome!!!! I think I have to pre-order it!!!

Post a Comment

Facebook Share

Fish

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP